Here I am one day past my due date.
Jun 8, 2008
operating instructions
We are four days past our due date and getting just a teeny bit antsy, waiting for our baby's arrival. To help make the time pass, Leighton gave me another book gift the other day, to the soon-to-be-mama; Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year by Anne Lamott. The book is far from a set of operating instructions (those are what Lamott asks God to give her), rather it's an honest account of the roller coaster emotional ride Lamott experienced as a first-time-mom to an infant at thirty-five. Though single, Lamott is not alone; her story is as much about the friends, family, and community that she relies on for support (in taking care of her baby and herself) as it is about her own ups and downs. So, while I have a wonderful husband to support me, I understand I'm in for quite the ride myself.
Here I am one day past my due date.

Here I am one day past my due date.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really enjoyed Lamott's book. A friend gave it to me right around the time of Callum's birth. It made me feel really good even just about simple things like not having a nursery for the baby because our house was being remodeled. Also, even though I'm single, I'm really glad my baby has a father and I don't have to worry about that like Lamott did. I think having two parents is a huge asset to a kid (having a second parent is also a huge asset to a new mother!). Now the baby will have to wait until you're done with the book ;-)
Tara
Thanks, Tara! I managed to finish the book yesterday: I kind of wish there was a sequel, I was enjoying her company. We also do not have a nursery (just a portable crib in the living room) and will not have one in Norway either. A lot of people ask if we have the nursery ready for the baby, so I guess that's kind of a 'thing.' But others assure us a baby can sleep anywhere and that we really don't need much to take care of a little infant.
Post a Comment